Linking up with Lisa-Jo Baker for Five Minute Friday. Join us, if you can. You will be so encouraged by this brave community of writers who link arms every Friday to write for five minutes flat. Today's word prompt is Glue.
Go.
I knew, when I saw the box, that my special wedding glasses were shattered. We were getting married in 5 months, and I moved across the country from Texas to Massachusetts. I moved all of my precious belongings, including these special Mickey and Minnie toasting glasses that the family I babysat for gave to me when I was still single, longing for a husband. It wasn't that the glasses shattered that broke my heart, but all that they represented. There was no way to repair them.
Those glasses were a metaphor for brokenness that was happening in my life. A year earlier, I lost my best friend, unexpectedly. I began to doubt and question God, and wondered why I was feeling the way I felt. I couldn't really wrap my head around the things going on around me. My aunt, who was more like a grandmother, had only passed away 4 months before she did, so the wound was still raw from missing her more than I ever thought I could miss anyone.
For years, I longed to see the goodness of God, but I couldn't see past my own brokenness, blinded by the shards of glass. Broken people are like broken glass. Sharp edges cut deep. The saying is true that hurting people, hurt people. I was broken, and was the center of my world. I didn't want people too close, so I pushed old friends away and thought they were the selfish ones. It took years for me to find new friends, and to allow the vulnerable places to show. I could not have done that without Jesus at the center of it all.
Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. Jesus, the Alpha and Omega, beginning and the end. Jesus, the One and Only. He is the Glue that mended those broken places for me. I am still learning to be open and vulnerable in certain places, and He's still there with the glue of His love and word to mend those broken places.
end.

Ah, friend, He takes our cracks and our sharp edges and makes them beautiful. Thanks for writing these beautiful words tonight.
ReplyDeleteYes, He does. I'm so thankful for those parts of my life. They gave me a better view of Him. Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteBroken people do have sharp edges but Jesus takes the edge off as He restores and repairs us! Thanks for being so transparent with us. Glory to God for all that He has done in your life...and mine.
ReplyDeleteYes, Glory to God, indeed! He heals the brokenhearted. Eternally grateful. Thanks for stopping by, Holly!
DeleteSharp edges indeed. There's wisdom in recognizing that hurting people hurt people instead of being retaliatory. I'm so glad Jesus, the Healer, has restored your brokenness so He can overflow through you and into people's lives. Thank you for sharing with us today!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by, Asheritah! I agree, there is wisdom in recognizing that, and it can only come from God! Have a great weekend!
DeleteBrokenness that happen in our life, aren't feelings difficult. I can't imagine living life emotionless, but managing the wounds of life, the pain, thank God for Jesus grace and love that can heal all, and for His joy that endures even in our pain. Visiting from FMF - Blessings!
ReplyDeleteI'm with you, friend. I can't imagine living life emotionless either. I have to lean into Him daily to get refreshed. Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteBeautiful-thank you for sharing your heart. You're so right-broken people have sharp edges. What a blessing to have some one who can glue us back together. Hugs to you, sweet sister!
ReplyDeleteHugs right back, Marcy! I'm so thankful that we DO have someone who can glue us back together. So happy you stopped by!
DeleteHurting people hurt people. This is so true.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry your wedding glasses got broken. I'm sure that was heartbreaking!
It was heartbreaking, NJ. But you know, I'm so grateful that God mended that hurting place for me. Love you, friend!
DeleteVisiting from FMF!!! Beautiful. Thank you for being transparent.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by! Have a blessed day!
DeleteIt's a lot to deal with what you went through, I have PTSD and it took me quite awhile to realize that God would be what grounded me not what was hurting me like I had thought. I think the important thing is to remember that even when you feel like you are closed off the Lord hears you, he comforts you, he is your best friend and Saviour and if you listen to him and you pray on the things that are deep inside you won't be steered wrong. Life hurts, Love hurts. Good things definitely aren't easy, but God, he is!
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting, and sharing a bit of your story, Marisa! Blessings to you!
Delete