I stumbled upon this quote about two months ago, and started a post with just this quote on it. Then, I got distracted and abandoned the post. It has stuck with me, and I can't shake that it's meant for all of the arts, including writing. There is such freedom in the knowledge that all artists struggle with the same voice of doubt in their ability to produce the very art that makes them breathe and come alive.
“If you hear a voice within you say “you cannot paint,” then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.” ~ Vincent Van Gogh
C.S. Lewis, Robert Louis Stevenson, Emily Dickinson, Jane Austen, and many other significant writers throughout history have woven together words that make our imaginations come to life...and then, there's me. While I will never tell a story like the story tellers of yesterday, God put writing on my heart at an early age.
I remember around age 7, I would write songs of praise and worship to Him. I once told my mom a poem that God put on my heart, and had no idea that she needed it right at that time. I remember writing hundreds of letters of encouragement, poetry, journal entries, even a few English papers for some of my peers.
Somewhere, somehow, I lost the confidence to call myself a writer, or to believe my story mattered. I believe the voice within me saying "you cannot write". There is power in our words. The moment I start to speak those defeating words about myself, I start to live like I believe them. Life and death flow off our tongues to inspire or breakdown the one who hears or reads our words.
Speak to yourself words of life so that you can speak to others words of life. Are you struggling to get the words out that seem buried deep within, to believe that you are a real writer? I am so there with you, friend. This has been a very quiet time for me in writing. Let me encourage you to write something, even if just a word, a sentence, a paragraph. By all means, write.
Lord, let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you. Let them bring grace and peace and let me always point others to Jesus and your steadfast love. In Jesus Name, Amen!


Jumping into FMF on a Sunday too. I guess that's part of being a writer: believing your words matter, even when they're late :) Thanks for your encouraging post. So glad to stop by! Write on!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by! And yes, our words matter, even when they're late! :)
DeleteLove it~with you on this~Sunday is a fine day to write. <3
ReplyDeleteThank you, Joann! It was a fine day to write, at least for me. :) Blessings, girlie!
DeleteI am a Sunday writer this week too and I am poking around at the other links. I am almost sick of the titles, you know? Like when you see that someone is a "writer" that must mean they are published, but why can't I be an uneducated writer who places my heart, soul and faith onto paper or screen and say that I am a writer! You write well and whether it is a sentence or poem or even something that is just like a quote you are a writer because you have written, you have been inspired to create. I think the prompt this week was a way to give each of us permission to say "yes, I am a writer"
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by, Marisa! Yes, you have permission to call yourself a writer. Any artist should feel confident in their art to proclaim that they are an artist (painter, writer, quilter, etc). Blessings to you today, girl!
DeleteBeautifully said, Chandra. I love the way you tied in that verse from Psalms 19. It's one of my favorites.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Lyli! It's one of my favorites, too. It's something I pray over myself every day. I need all the help I can get when it comes to my mouth. LOL! Have a great day!
Delete