Linking up for Five Minute Friday, for the first time over at Kate Motaung's place. This is a fabulous community of bloggers that link arms on Friday to write for five minutes flat, no editing. Come join in the fun with us! This is Kate's first week since taking over for Lisa Jo Baker!
Fill me, Lord. It's a simple prayer, and it's one I've prayed a thousand times, or more, in my lifetime. The thing I often forget is that God is just waiting for me to take the first step in getting that prayer answered. I can pray that prayer until I no longer have breath, but if I don't do my part, I will still be as empty as I ever was.
Have you ever heard the saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"? That's how I feel about my part in Jesus filling me. I'm standing on the edge of the water, and He's calling out to me to step in. He's calling me to get filled up, but if I just stand there at the edge, I can not get filled.
Too often I am more apt to fill up on the junk instead of the one thing that can keep me satisfied.
Instead of filling up on peace, I drown myself in the cares and chaos of this world.
Instead of filling up on joy, I get so focused on problems and the hopelessness that accompany them.
Instead of filling up on love, I allow anger to seep in and boil over to those who are most important to me.
Instead of filling up on the goodness of God, I meditate on how people have failed me.
Instead of filling up on Jesus, I fill up on TV, movies, books, the internet, and anything else that turns my heart from Him.
This is a surrender of sorts. I want to be filled with Him. Empty me of me, so I can be filled with You, Lord. Let my sights be set on You. Let my hope and trust rest in You. I don't want to be spiritually dehydrated and spiritually anorexic. Let me fill up at your table, and let your great love satisfy me.


Thank you for your kind comment in my blog.
ReplyDeleteI find your post inspiring.
"Empty me of me, so I can be filled with You." -- I am saying this prayer with you now.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, Romi! I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
DeleteWhat a delightful visit. I love the title of your blog because I am so thankful that God is effectively working in me ( Ph.1:6), and I just had to smile at your sweet picture. You have a contagious smile that blesses those who find your spot of rest here on your site. Thanks for sharing your heart, I can identify with what you shared and some of the same thoughts went through my head as I wrote for five minutes this morning. Actually, I tried to link up this morning and it wouldn't work for me. I am glad I had to wait or I wouldn't have found you as easily.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
So glad you stopped by, Dawn! Yes, He is effectively working in you, and me! So happy we found each other through FMF!
DeleteChandra, thank you for the reminder to always be aware of what we are allowing ourselves to be filled with. "Too often I am more apt to fill up on the junk instead of the one thing that can keep me satisfied." I also struggle with distractions, too often. Thank you for the encouragement to be more intentional about eliminating the junk and continue seeking to be filled with His life.
ReplyDeleteYour FMF friend,
Frances
Thanks for stopping by, Frances! I am so glad you did. I needed this post so much, and I hope it is a blessing to others. Blessings, friend.
Delete