"Mess creates stress." That's what my mom used to tell me when my apartment had the appearance of being broken into and ransacked. Coming from my mom, that's the truth. She and my sister have the gene to have a place for everything and everything in it's place. Somehow, that part of her DNA was not passed on to me. It intimidated me to the point of never wanting anyone over for fear of my mess being looked down upon.
However, I look at mess differently now. While I like to have things neat and tidy, it rarely happens in a house with two boys, a husband, a dog and a fish, and my own "green" personality. I've learned to appreciate the art of what happens in my mess. You see, my mess is mostly internal. Working through years of self-doubt, self-esteem issues and depression. I've found that internal mess creates just as much stress as the external stuff.
The thing is, God has used all of it. He has used every single mess I've ever gotten myself into, or made out of something, and turned into something beautiful, meaningful, and valuable. Without experiencing depression on a personal level, I would not be able to love hurting people. Without going through self-doubt, I would not be a big cheerleader for people who follow their dreams. Self-esteem issues pushed me to become the encourager I am today.
I'm thankful for this promise from God to us: Romans 8:28 "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." It's because of the mess in our life that God can shine through and make something of each one of us. There is freedom in admitting we don't have it all together and that sometimes our lives can be a hot mess. Our mess is meant to be a testimony to someone else of the goodness and faithfulness of God. Our mess is our message that shouts to the world that God can turn ashes into something beautiful. He is always at work in us, friend. Always, even in our biggest mess.

Beautiful, encouraging thoughts! Thank you for sharing. Popping by from FMF :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by!
Delete"Mess creates stress." YES, I have felt that...feel that...almost daily. But it's the conscious choice to move past that and live authentically despite the mess that's important. Love that you shared this! Visiting from FMF.
ReplyDeleteYes, girl! I agree! I hope you have a blessed week, LeeAnn!
DeleteThanks for the mess(age) ;-) God bless you,
ReplyDeleteBlessings to you, Grey! Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteBeautiful and incredibly true words, Chandra! And my Mom and your Mom surely must be related! :) I think my Mom breaks out in hives every time she steps foot into my house - BUT, as I often remind her, I have 3 boys (4, if you count my husband!), 2 dogs, a rabbit, and a guinea pig...whereas she just had me and my Dad, who was also a bit of a clean freak.
ReplyDeleteIn my life, I have too seen God use my personal crises as a foundation for me to minister to others and wow - it blows me away knowing that even when the mess was one I created, He used it for good anyway. What a loving Father!
Heather, I feel the same way about my mom coming into my house. :) It is always amazing when I look back at how God uses all the stuff in our lives for Him. So awesome! Thanks for stopping by, friend!
DeleteWell said! Our FMF post were very similar. I love when that happens...I always feel like I've found a kindred spirit. Lovely to meet you.
ReplyDeleteLovely to meet you, as well, Lisa. I love when God allows someone of a kindred spirit to stop by. It means so much to me!
DeleteThere certainly is freedom in admitting we don't have it all together! Great post this week!
ReplyDelete