Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Enter to Win

I am a sweepstakes junkie.  It's true, I'm a sucker for "Enter to win".  It's the magic words that draw me in every single time.  All I have to do is write down my information and I could win my dream house, a new car, some cash, a free flight, etc.  I've entered them all, and I love imagining what it would be like to be the winner of something big like that. 

I've been reminded recently that I'm seeking for that ultimate joy, the rush of excitement through things that might not happen.  Don't we all do that?  The thing we so long for to happen may never happen while life just passes us by.  I don't think that entering sweepstakes is wrong, but putting my hope in them is.  My hope, my joy, my excitement should come from my time with the Lord.  I remember a time when it truly did. 

I worked for a medical device company in the Clear Lake area close to 8 years.  I started there when I was just 20 years old, and stayed there until I moved to Massachusetts just before my 28th birthday.  Those 8 years have a lot of significance to me.  I grew up, became and an adult, and learned responsibility at this place.  I worked long, hard hours, and I learned a lot about loyalty both to people and to corporations.  But, one thing that I had during those 8 years was a lot of time with the Lord.  Many days I would spend my lunch hour in my car, reading my bible, praying and singing worship songs.  I'm sure I looked like a loony toon out there doing that, but I truly did not care.  Then, I had a couple of years that I worked in the cleanroom, and much of that time was during overtime hours when I would be the only one in there.  I can't tell you the number of hours I would spend praying while I worked.  It was a precious time, and time I will never get back.  I may find myself being able to spend time in prayer like that again one day, but I can't see that anytime soon with young children at home and their needs taking precedence over my need to communicate with my Lord. 

The point of that story is that during that time of my life, I felt the most fulfilled I have ever felt in my walk with God.  I love my life now, but I miss my alone time with the Lord.  A dear friend recently sent me an e-mail talking about this very subject, and it allowed me to walk down memory lane in my mind and think about that time I had.  I am trying to figure out how to incorporate more time with God during my already busy day.  Time with God is time that we can enter into His presence and be renewed in our spirit and soul.  It's a time of refreshing.  It's a time that when we Enter, we win.  We win in every way possible when we find our joy, and our excitement through Him.  He gives us life, and life more abundantly!