Every Friday, Lisa-Jo Baker hooks up a bunch of writers to a key word. We write for 5 minutes flat and then link together. It's a great community! Today's word: Remember. Go.
Isaiah 43:18-19 "Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert."
Thank you, Father, for that promise! This week brought new things for our family as my parents moved to the country (3 hours away). We packed up my childhood home, the home they lived in for nearly 30 years. There were MANY memories made in that home. Over the years, the wall colors changed, the flooring changed, they pretty much completely remodeled the house all by themselves.
To say that they were moving is bittersweet would not do justice to the emotions I felt as I helped my dad load a UHaul and then unload it at their new 4 acre country home on the lake. It's beautiful and peaceful up there. It is a new beginning for them, a new beginning for us. My kids, who love to spend the night and go to Nana and Poppa's after school will have to make different kinds of memories with them now.
But, this is also a time for me to trust God and know that he "is doing a new thing; now it springs forth". I know that my parents are exactly where they want and should be. I felt certain of that when we pulled into the driveway at their new home. I'm sad for myself and my children, but I know that God is in control and is the author of our lives. So, I will choose to remember not the former things - I won't dwell in the past. I will enjoy the sweet memories, but I won't stay stuck to what once was. I will trust that He is working on our behalf.
Stop.


Hi, I found your blog through '5 Minute Friday'...You are a lucky woman to have 30 years of 'accumulated memories' with your parents. Cherish that. It's a blessing!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
You will always have the memories, your children will make their own memories, and in eternity...well, we'll either remember it all or we won't care! :)
ReplyDelete