Linking up with Lisa-Jo Baker today for Five Minute Friday. Each Friday, this writing community links arms to write their hearts out on a word prompt, visit each other's pages and leave some blog love. Would you join us this week? Our word prompt is CROWD.
Lamentations 3:21-25 "But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. "The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him." The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him."
I'm a little socially awkward. I get flustered in a crowd, although, I have no problem speaking to a crowd. I get nervous and feel like I never say the right thing, or people can't hear what I'm saying. I often try to be funny, but realize halfway through my story that I need to wrap it up. If I'm at a party, you will likely find me near a wall with one or two other people, awkardly trying to figure out the right questions to ask to make conversation. I like to develop deep, one on one relationships, and crave that type of relationship in my life. This is who I am.
I like to think that maybe I'm a little like Jesus. He doesn't really like crowded hearts. He has no problem speaking to my crowded heart, though I may not always hear Him clearly through the noise. He's usually nudging me along with constant introspection and insight through the Holy Spirit, and He craves a deep one on one relationship with me. That's who He is.
Noise is all around, and it vies for my hearts attention. I make room for so much, but so sporadically make room for the One who seeks my hearts affection more than anything. My heart becomes so over-crowded that I can barely hear Him speak. He desires me more than any social media, more than tv, more than radio, more than my friendships, more than even my family. He desires for me to know Him.
I have to weed out my crowded heart and make room for One. I have to learn to say "no" to the things reaching out for my attention that really have no room in my heart. When I learn to say no to the noise, and yes to Jesus, it's not so crowded anymore. I can clearly hear His voice and the leading of the Holy Spirit. It's so easy to get drowned out in a crowd. Let's drown out the crowd and let Jesus shine in us.
Will you join me and make room for One today?

"I have to weed out my crowded heart and make room for One." I love this line. Hopping over from Five Minute Friday. so glad I found you. I love and treasure deep relationships too. Blessings my new friend. jana
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by, Jana! Praying that we both enjoy deep relationships in life always. Have a wonderful weekend!
DeleteThank you for this beautiful reminder. I always start with the goal of making more room in my life to hear God and to walk with Jesus throughout my day. But often by the end of the day I realize I've been functioning on autopilot and I've forgotten Jesus entirely; except for moments of desperation. My life is so crowded and I know I need more room for him.
ReplyDeleteI am the same way, which is why I wrote this. Maybe as a challenge to myself to not live on autopilot so much? I pray that we both make room for him and clear out our crowded lives. Many blessings to you, friend.
DeleteStopping in from FMF! Thank you for sharing your heart. Thank you for writing this! I know I crowd my heart with things that drowned out the voice of God and the Holy Spirit and I need to learn to say no. Making room for only One and letting His entire being fill my life!
ReplyDeleteIt's so easy to do, isn't it, Renae? Let's pray for each other to be able to listen more closely to the Holy Spirit and less to the crowd in our hearts. Blessings!
DeleteLoved this!
ReplyDelete"I make room for so much, but so sporadically make room for the One who seeks my hearts affection more than anything."
So true, unfortunately in my own life lately. We are always so quick to make room for that which matters less!
Thank you for the challenge in your words.
Yes, Cynthia! So true. I am quick to fill up my time with LOTS of other things than Jesus. It's a continual growth process. The challenge is for me just as much as anyone who stops by. Thanks for stopping in, Cynthia! Blessings to you!
Delete