Well, first, I have to tell you a little bit about me and Todd. Todd and I met online, chatted for a year and were married about 7 months after we met in person. It's a much longer story, but that is the gist of it. So, I moved to Cape Cod, where he lived all of his life. It was a drastic change for me. I went from the largest church in the country to probably the smallest church in the country. 75% of the congregation was over the age of 55. The rest were a mix of children, teenagers and a couple of 30 somethings. I think we had about 50 people in the congregation, but I know Todd would know for sure. He was one of the elders and also the treasurer for the church. Obviously, it was visible if one of us missed. To put it nicely, I had a hard time adjusting to my new church, new pastors, new co-worshippers, etc. The church didn't meet on Sunday nights or Wednesday nights. However, for a short time, they did a bible study on Wednesday nights called "Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God" by Henry Blackaby. The theme that I gathered from this study was overwhelmingly "God is ALWAYS at work". He's always working around us. I believe He is always working in us, even when we don't realize it.
It was during this study that my heart began to open up to what God might be working in me in this tiny church, with the older folks, and even with the few teenagers. I had worked with teens for many years at the church I grew up in, so perhaps God would use me there. To be honest, I just didn't want to cave. I was full of pride, and it felt like it was beneath me. Isn't that horrible? But, God... God is just so good. He knew my areas of weakness, and he directed my steps! Todd and I did the bible study together. This was very early in our marriage, and it was such a blessing to see my husband studying the bible, praying, leading. The point is that I never forgot the chapter that began with God is always at work. If you look back in your lifetime, you can see unanswered prayers, answered prayers, hardships, victories, LIFE! But, you could also see God's hand leading you and guiding you directly to where you are now!
It's taken me a long time to figure out that God has a plan, and I need to stop trying to make things happen in my time. God has a different timetable than I do, and I'm sure we all know Psalm 18:30 "As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him." He will work in you, even in the most mundane places, times, events, life. I had so many dreams and plans for my life that did not involve living in the suburbs, driving a minivan, and sending my kids to christian school. Instead, in my romanticized version, I was living in some remote part of the world as a missionary, having LOTS of kids and working in the ministry. I know God has a plan for me, and I see it unfolding right here, in the suburbs, with my minivan and teaching my children to love Him more than anything. I've heard it for a long time - THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB YOU COULD HAVE. I finally believe it! My little gentlemen will grow up to love their wives like Christ loves the church. God promises in Isaiah 54:13 "And all your children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of your children." I pray this over my children every day, and I believe that they will have great peace because they will know that God is at work in their lives.

Chandra - you should have just read your own words in this post yesterday when you were haveing a bad mommy day. You are so wise, but I guess you forgot your own wisdom!
ReplyDeleteChandra, I have struggled from day one of motherhood with just being okay with being "just" a mom. I have made many attempts to broaden my territory and give myself more responsibilities but so far, not much has come of any of them. I still long to do more with my life but it's in the times when things get hectic and crazy that I find myself so overwhelmingly thankful to have this simple, peaceful life that I'm living right now. I still want to find a perfect solution, a perfect balance between my goals and my parenting, but I also feel that God has taught me so much during the time of waiting for something more to happen. I hope you and I can keep growing in this!
ReplyDelete