Some of my more personal goals for the year were toward my family. I wanted to be a calmer influence on my children. I wanted to be a better wife. I wanted to clean out the clutter in the house so that the house would feel more peaceful. I am so happy to say that some of those changes are taking place. I am taking it day by day. Some days are more productive than others, and the kids seem to be calming down a little more as I calm down more. It's not that we are wild animals here, so I guess the right wording would be that my approach toward them when they are over-excited has changed. I react less, and plan more. I am thinking ahead about what to say in each situation. There will always be room to grow, and new approaches to learn, but I am so excited to see the changes taking place.
We have decided to put Luke in a Christian school for "big kid" kindergarten next year. This was given a lot of thought and prayer between Todd and I. We knew at the start of this past school year that we would have him do kinder again next year, and God has continuously confirmed to us that this is the right decision for our precious boy. We are so excited about his future, and are absolutely loving this stage of his life. He's so intelligent. I can't believe that he's reading and doing simple math problems! However, we notice that Luke tends to follow older kids, and he deals with strong emotions. Allowing him the opportunity to have an extra year to mature will help him further down the road. We visited the school last week for our interview. He had to be tested without us being in the room. He scored 81 correct answers out of 83! The teacher wrote on the paper that he was VERY SMART (in all caps)!
Our biggest struggle was not in deciding whether or not to push him through to kinder, but in deciding if we could or should do Christian schooling. We've heard arguments from every angle on the matter. I truly believe that each child is different and their needs are different. Each parent is different and their desires for their children are different. I was afforded the opportunity to attend private Christian schooling in my elementary years until 5th grade. Those years are some of my most memorable, and built my spiritual foundation. I tested higher than my grade level each year based on the Standford Achievement Tests. This school also gives those tests to their students and find that they also test higher than the national grade levels. Our highest priority as Luke and Jacob's parents are to give them every opportunity to learn and know more about Christ. While we do our part in our home, we really want their early school years to be reinforced with Jesus in their education. I get so excited when Luke tells me a new memory verse he's learned at school (they get a new one each week). I know that he is "hiding the word in his heart". Nothing makes my heart leap more than that. I can't possibly explain the excitement, joy and true pleasure it brings to me! I could cry each time he tells me something new that he's learned about Jesus. I just love it! So, that was a big source for our decision making. Strong academics are important to us, but so much more important is the eternal value of a spirit education. We are excited about what next school year brings, and even more excited to see how it will all play out! God is providing the way! We might be in our little house for another few years, but if that's what it takes, we are good with that. There is a purpose and a plan for everything, and I know that there is a time and a season for everything. Right now, I am resting in knowing that i am in the perfect plan that God has for this time and season in our life. Thank you, Jesus! God, you are so good to us!

I understand crying each time my kids learn something new about Jesus. I get teary when I tell them the Christmas story or read a passage in their bible story book that is so special for them to learn. The message is just so sacred and the thought of their little hearts soaking it in gets me every time. Way to go, momma!
ReplyDelete