One day at a time sweet Jesus That's all I'm askin' of you
Just give me the strength
To do every day what I have to do
Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine Lord,
help me today, show me the way
One day at a time
That song was in my head today, so I am posting it here. I don't know who wrote it, or originally sang it, but I do like it. The message at church yesterday was about growing stronger in the Lord and how not to do it. I think this song embodies part of that message. Take one day at a time.
I'm trying my best to remember the thoughts I had before bed last night. Almost every night I come up with great blog posts in my head and then I can't remember them the next day. I don't like to turn on the computer that late because then I stay up way later than i want to...
Okay, I remember now... I was thinking about praying for our spouses, and how important that is. We talked a bit about it on Friday in our small group, but I've been thinking about it more and more. I know for me personally, when I pray for Todd on a regular basis, I care more deeply about his happiness and less about mine. It's not that I am less happy, but I am actually more happy because my family is happy. Our marriage runs smoother, and he is being built up through prayer at the same time. Many times I will pray over something specifically for him and he will call me later that day or week and tell me about something I had been praying for when he didn't even know I was praying for that specific thing.
I'm grateful that I had/have such a godly mother to teach me how to pray for my husband and children. She was/is constantly praying over her family, and I can't imagine not having that covering for all of my life. My mom is powerful in her prayer life. She has taught on the subject of prayer for many years in different forums. I am so grateful for that legacy. But, she can't do it all for me; I have to put my faith into action as well. So, I challenge my friends, if you don't already consistently pray for your spouse or children, take a few minutes to do so. It WILL change your relationship in such an awesome way.
Now, back to the one day at a time. Don't try to go into a marathon of praying for your family if you don't already pray regularly. It's not about the length of time, but just setting aside a couple of minutes to give thanks to the Lord for your family and asking Him to watch over them and bless them. One day at a time...
