Monday, February 13, 2012

40 Days of Renewal

I am so excited about the season of Lent coming up.  I never celebrated this growing up.  To me, it was something only Catholics did.  My mom grew up Catholic, so I knew a little about it, but not much.  Lent is celebrated by a few denominations, including Catholicism and Baptist among others.  Over the past 10 years I have come to view this as an important season before Easter or Resurrection Sunday. 

I was referred to a book entitled "He Restores My Soul" by Jennifer Kennedy Dean.  It is a 40 day devotional.  I am planning to incorporate this book into my renewal time.  I will be fasting during this time as well.  No, I'm not abstaining from food for 40 days, but foods that I feel God is asking me to abstain from.  I can give 40 days when Jesus gave His life for me.  40 days is nothing in comparison. 

I feel like this is a time for renewal of my spirit, soul and body, and that it is a good time to reflect on what God has done in my life and will be doing in the future.  I have things inside that have lay dead and dormant for too many years.  I know God is stirring those dreams up, and in the process stirring me up for more of Him.  Hungry for His word, and His presence.  I'm believing that God will show Himself present in my life during this time and will not only renew me, but restore me! 

Thank you, Lord for your goodness and mercy, which follow me all the days of my life.  Thank you for your grace, which protects and saves me.  I am praying for your presence to be evident in my life and that I will be a reflection of you wherever I go.  I thank you, God for your loving-kindness, which is better than life!  I love you, Lord!