Sunday, July 14, 2013

Fruits and Virtues

I was going through some of my old FB posts today, and I stumbled upon this note that I wrote back in 2010.  It feels so appropriate for today, especially since my small group just finished reading "The Fitting Room" by Kelly Minter.  It is an excellent book lining out the virtues of Christ found in Colossians 3.  

God is ALWAYS at work in us!  Philippians 2:13 - For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him. (NLT)   Thank God that He is able to use all of our life experiences for His glory and to bring us to a better understanding of Him and our need for His grace through Jesus Christ.

When I have been angry with someone, thank you God that you are working in me, LOVE.  When I have been depressed, thank you God that you are working in me, JOY.  When I let the weight of the world get to me, thank you God that you are working in me, PEACE.  When I have lost my temper from sitting in traffic, thank you God that you are working in me, PATIENCE.  When someone is being less than kind to... me, thank you God that you are working in me, KINDNESS.  When I'm feeling grateful for your blessings, thank you God that you are working in me, GOODNESS.  When I don't feel like going or doing, thank you for working in me, FAITHFULNESS.  When I feel like lashing out, thank you for working in me, GENTLENESS.  When I hit the chocolate drawer after complaining about not losing weight, thank you for working in me, SELF CONTROL.

I want to remind myself of this daily!  Though we may not always recognize our weaknesses as God working in us, we know that all things work together for our good for those who love God.  We also know that He is always working in us, even in our times of weakness.  So, those times when I'm feeling insecure, useless, unworthy, or whatever does not line up with what God says about me, I can be sure that he is working in me to bring me into alignment with His will, His fruits and His gifts.  

The scripture promise I am leaning on today is Romans 11:29 (MSG) - God’s gifts and God’s call are under full warranty—never canceled, never rescinded.  I am so thankful that God doesn't change His mind when I drop the ball and forget my identity in Christ.  

Thank you, Father, for continually working in me, even in times when I don't "see" the fruit.  I praise you, God, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made, even in my weaknesses.  I praise you for who you are, and for the love you give to me each day.  Thank you for the cross, for the blood of Jesus that covers a multitude of sins.  You are so good to me, and I love you, Lord!  In Jesus Name, Amen! 

1 comment:

  1. I love that we get to read each other's blogs and be encouraged and re-centered through each other's words. Keep it up, friend!

    ReplyDelete