Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A Thankful Heart: Day 6 - And They're Off

Well, at least one of them is.  My oldest started school today.  I have a love/hate relationship with the school year.  I need and crave routine, and I believe my kids do, too.  I also really love not having to hurry out the door.  Those lazy days feel comfortable and easy.  They allow us to set up a relaxed schedule for when we get out the door, what we want to do, and where we want to go.  It also leads us to be complacent.  I tend to get complacent in my walk with God, in my health, in my eating, in pretty much everything.  I also tend to allow my kids to do the same.

I'm thankful for this first day of school, and not in the way you would think a mom is thankful.  I'm thankful that we are getting back into a routine, that we will be able to focus our attention on learning and growing instead of lounging around and being beach bums.  I don't really "love" my kids going to school away from me, but I know they are growing and becoming important members of society in their growth.

Thank you, Lord, for this school year.  I lift up all the students and teachers to you.  May each one of them be blessed by their growth, and by each other.  I ask that you would bring friends alongside my children that will help them walk more fully in You.  I ask that you give the teachers wisdom and understanding in how to teach each student, and as I cover them in prayer, I thank you for your protection and love toward them.  I pray for your peace that passes all understanding to guard their hearts and minds in Christ.  Thank you, Father, for your loving-kindness, which is better than life.  I praise you, and I thank you for your goodness to us.  In Jesus name, Amen!