Here we are at Friday, again! It's Five Minute Friday time. We write for five minutes, no editing, no backspacing, just plain writing from the heart for five minutes. Today's prompt is Story. Go.
I'm not good at story telling. I'm really good a reading a story and inflecting tones to make the characters stand out. But, I'm not very good at telling a story in writing. This has intimidated me as a writer. I love writing, I love putting my thoughts on paper (or online) and I love having this format for my children to one day read and understand me better.
I don't edit myself well and feel the need to share every detail leaving the important points out so that everyone understands where I'm coming from. I hope that I can one day hone the craft of telling a story. I hope that my story will be written, even if it is not read by the masses.
Here is my story in a nutshell. I was born and raised in a small town between Houston and Galveston, TX. I met my guy online. He lived in Massachusetts. We got married 6 months after meeting. We lived in Mass and then moved to TX. We have two boys, ages 7 (almost 8) and 4. We will celebrate 12 years of wedded bliss this September. Those are the logistics and I'm doing everything I can to not give you every detail of every event, because they are BIG!
Stop.
I can't believe 5 minutes is already over. This is the first time I didn't edit myself one bit. Honestly, I want to go back and delete it all and start over. Haha!

I think my boys have taught me to tell a story:) The big and little stories:)Raising boys is awesome:) Welcome to the "club" - LOL!
ReplyDeleteThanks! They are fun, for sure. I prayed for boys! I need God's grace most days though. LOL!
DeleteI have trouble with details too! I call it context. It is so hard not too drone on with the context. I find it hard to believe that anyone can understand me without it! In other words: I know just what you are talking about!
ReplyDeleteAnd your story sounds wonderful! What was it like for him moving from Mass to TX? What did he find for work? 12 years is awesome - good job! I think you need to write it out, even if it's hard :) Our stories are all so interesting!
Our move was a spur of the moment thing. He came home from work one day and said, Let's move to Texas. So, two weeks later, we were in Texas near my family and friends. Neither of us had a job when we moved and were out of work for 3 months (me) and 6 months (him). I'm not gonna lie, it was hard. But, we both found really great and successful careers, and I got to work from home until my youngest was born. I wanted to be a stay at home mom, and God provided the way. :) By the way, my husband hates the heat in Texas, but loves the mild winters.
DeleteLove your story and please share it!! We where engaged after three months of dating and we met at a wedding one I wasn't going to go to and one he wasn't going to go to:) any way love meeting you here at fmf
ReplyDeleteThank you! We met that way, too. I was on an online Christian "dating" website. This was 13 years ago, so it wasn't anything like it is now. LOL. My membership expired and I had put in my profile that you could contact me at... and he emailed me. He wrote me because I had red hair. Neither of us thought about "dating" because we lived so far away, so we were pen pals for about a year. 9 months into that year, we started talking on the phone every night for 2-4 hours. One day, he sent me a HUGE flower arrangement, so I decided to fly up to Boston to meet this guy. That was on Feb 15, on March 15, he flew down to Texas and proposed, and we were married on Sept 15, only having lived near each other for 3 months of that time. It was crazy, and I love it. It's crazy that out of all the red heads in the U.S., I'm the one he wrote to. I need to do a blog post on it. LOL
DeleteOOooOO!!! I want to hear more of your story girlfriend! Thank you for sharing on FMF!
ReplyDeleteThanks, girlie! I'm going to write about it tonight, I think!
Delete