Today is my 40th birthday. I can't even believe I'm typing that number next to "my". I still don't feel like an adult most days. Although, I've been looking forward to 40 for the past two years, I met it with a grumbling heart at the beginning of August. Well, actually, all summer. It's hard to get excited about something that feels like it's on the back burner of busy schedules, summer activities and just the go, go, go life that seems to be right before school starts back. I was starting to get a little depressed about the idea of being 40. FORTY.
By God's grace and words from an unexpected source, I am looking forward to making this a year of thanksgiving. I'll be spending the year looking at the silver lining instead of focusing on the rain clouds. I don't want thanksgiving to just be something I celebrate in the month of November, but a state of my heart. I've resolved in my heart to write a post each day for the next year about something/someone/some place I am thankful for. I believe that it is in giving thanks that we actually find joy and peace.
Ann Voskamp recently wrote this blog post about how to have the best birthday, the best today, the best any day. I can tell you with complete certainty that the words from this one blog post helped change the focus of my next year. For the first time in a really long time, I've felt the prompting of the Holy Spirit toward something that is bigger than me, something that will be outside of my comfort zone, but will require total dependence on Him alone! Writing this blog has been hit or miss for me, but I believe it's time for me to walk in the call He's placed on my life. I can't sit back any longer and wish for an open door, but rather walk in what he's already provided for me to do. Even if I only have 10 "followers", I know that I am being faithful in the small things.
My dear friend, Megan, blessed me with the best gift this past Friday. She went to Ann's blog and printed these awesome "be the G.I.F.T." tags and included some ideas on how to be the gift. Ann included her list of ideas here. I'm excited to not only be a gift to someone, but also to be thankful for all the "someone's" he's given to me. Join me this year to be the G.I.F.T. (Give It Forward Today).
Thank you, Father for blessing us with all the gifts you have given to us. Help us to keep our eyes open to recognize these gifts, big and small, and to give you thanks for them all. I love you, Lord. In Jesus Name, Amen!

You are a gift to me. I want to join you in a commitment to thankfulness daily. -- Sarah H
ReplyDeleteI love you so much, Sarah! <3 You are most definitely one of the finest gifts God has ever given me in a friend!
DeleteYAY! I'm so so excited about this! Give me a ring when it starts to get hard or you feel like giving up. I want to help encourage you through this! Love you! And, happy 40th...your best year yet!
ReplyDeleteMe too, Megan! I already need to call you, but I'll wait until things have settled down for you a bit.
Delete