Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Thankful Heart: Day 16 - It Takes a Village or Community

It takes a village to raise a child.  - African proverb

Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.  Philippians 2:3-4

I'm feeling reminiscent today.  I'm thinking of all the women who helped shape and form me into who I am now.  Of course, I grew and formed opinions on things on my own, but those developmental years were rich with women who loved the Lord.  These women were openly flawed, yet quick to give it over to God.  They were imperfect, but had much to give and teach us young ladies.  I feel so blessed to have had that in my life.  

I think of everyone to my children's pastor at one church, to the youth pastor I worked under at another as a young adult, to my mom's friends, to my friend's moms, and I could go on, but you get the idea.  There were lots of women around.  They were and still are very important to me, and I'm so thankful for their influence over my life.  Of course my parents were the greatest influence in my life, but these other ladies helped guide and reinforce the things my parents taught us.  

I desire that for my boys, that they would have godly men in their lives to help shape them.  My husband and I are good, but I'd love them to have men in their life who can teach them what we can't, what we don't know.  We are all members of a body, and we work together to raise our children in the ways of the Lord.  

My 4 year old has suddenly developed separation anxiety as he started school this week.  He has always been very happy-go-lucky, easy going, joyful, but he is also very strong-willed.  I need my village to help encourage me as I help him get over this fear of being away from me, though I don't really think it is fear at all.  I think he just wants to be with me, or he thinks that I might be having fun without him.  But I believe that my community will help me overcome this hurdle, and I pray that they will help him overcome this hurdle, too. 

So, today, I give thanks to God for bringing such powerful, beautiful, loving, gentle, strong, and just amazing women into my life as a child through even now as an adult.  I thank Him for showing His love for me in that way.  I praise Him for instilling principles in me at an early age that were reinforced by so many women along the way.  I ask, Father God, that you would do the same for my boys.  Let men rise up to bless them, teach them, guide them in your truth.  I pray that they would have a village to look back on, a community that will help reinforce the truths they learn at home.  I ask You, God, to help Todd and I train them up in the way they should go, and that you would send leaders to help with that training.  In Jesus Name, Amen!