Sunday, September 22, 2013

A Thankful Heart: Days 31 & 32 - Encouragement From The Lord

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.  Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you." Jeremiah 29:11-12

This is such a well known verse.  There is so much depth to it, but what I feel like God was showing me last night was that He desires for us to walk in hope.  I was so encouraged last night as I was thinking about how God has been lifting me out of years-long depression and self-pity.  I read a message from someone on twitter about negative thinking being a lack of faith, but the Holy Spirit really spoke to me and this is what I wrote afterward in my journal.  

Negative thinking, gossip, anxiety, depression, etc all generally stem from loss of hope, not lack of faith.  Hope is what keeps our eyes, and our mouths for that matter, out of those dark areas of life.  A person who has their eyes fixed on Jesus is full of hope, even in seemingly hopeless situations.  A person who is full of hope can't walk in depression, the two are polar opposites.  

Tonight, I'm thanking God for the promises in His word to give us hope!  Don't lose your hope!  He has a plan for you, my friend, and His plan gives us a future and a hope.  He hears us when we pray, that promise is given throughout His word, but it is plainly stated in Jeremiah 29:12.  Let us take hope, hold fast to the confession of our faith for He is faithful who promised.  

Do you feel like you have lost hope?  Do you feel that you don't have much of a future to look forward to?  Press in, friend.  God draws close to us as we draw close to Him.  It's not always easy to break unnecessary habits to make time for him.  I am guilty of watching too much tv and using the computer too much to escape instead of diving into His word to get full of life.  That is the best place to build our hope and feel full of His presence.  He desires you, my friend.   

Father, I lift up everyone who feels lost, or without hope.  I thank you for your word, that you have promised to give us a future and a hope.  I pray for peace over those who have no peace, and thank you for the peace that passes all understanding to guard their hearts and their minds in Christ.  I ask that you would cover my friends in peace, and give them a new hope for their lives, a new view of their future, Lord.  I thank you, Father, that you are a very present help in times of trouble, and that you care about every detail in our lives.  You see the broken hearted and are close to them.  I pray that they would feel your presence even now, that they would know you are drawing them in to you.  In Jesus Name, Amen.