Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Thankful Heart: Day 18 - All in the Name

When my parents named me, they weren't really thinking of the meaning of what they named me.  In fact, my mom wanted to name me Chantal, but my dad didn't like that too much.  So, one day he came home from work and said what about Chandra.  And that is literally how I got my name.  

My name comes from the Sanskrit, referring to a moon goddess.  Some people, who study names, have interpreted it to mean "illustrious", "outshines the stars", "eminent".  It's a unique name, for a unique person.  But, the truth is that we are all unique, even if our name was number one on the baby list for 5 years in a row.  Some people name their kids based on the meaning, as if it to say I will prophesy this over your life.  I know people with names that mean "bad", but they are not bad.  No, your name does not have to determine your destiny.  The purpose of all this is that there is only one name that truly has the prophesying power over our lives.

The name of Jesus is the only name in the entire world that can change our thinking, change our direction, change our future.  There is nothing more powerful than the name of Jesus.  There is no sweeter name than the name of Jesus.  Nothing can bring peace into a situation like the name of Jesus.  

John 14:13-14 "Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  If you ask me anything in my  name, I will do it."

Imagine having a name so powerful that someone can just use authority based on saying your name.  Jesus has that authority.  The work on the cross authorized us to speak his name with authority and have results.  Hallelujah!  I can't tell you how many times I've been in situations that were causing a great deal of stress or panic, and all I could do was just say "Jesus" and there was an immediate peace that came over me.  

I am so thankful for a personal God, one who wants me to know His name intimately.  I don't know of anyone else who desires me to know His name and what it means more than my God. Friend, if you have nothing else, let me encourage you to call on his name.  When everything else seems to be falling apart, just say his name and let His peace wash over you... because it will.

Father, I lift up anyone who feels overwhelmed by life, by the distractions in this world and I pray for peace over them.  I pray that the name and person of Jesus will become more real to them than what they see as reality right now.  I ask that right now they would know true peace in whatever they may be facing.  Thank you, Jesus, for the sacrifice you made on our behalf, for giving us the power and authority through your name to speak life into our situations.  In Jesus Name, Amen!