Monday, September 9, 2013

A Thankful Heart: Day 19 - The Gift of Friendship

Believe it or not, the bible has a lot to say about friendships.  There are examples of friendship woven throughout the scripture, and plenty of scriptures that speak to how to be a friend.  God created us to have fellowship, and be part of one another's lives.  Indeed, he created us for Him first, to be our first friend, our everlasting friend.  

Jesus himself is our greatest example.  He had disciples, but he had three that we would probably call confidant's or closest friends.  Peter, James and John.  Flawed but forgiven. Deeply loved by Jesus himself.  They were the one's he wanted with him in his final hours of prayer before he was arrested.   

Jesus is also seen as being close to Mary, Martha and Lazarus.  John 11:5 says Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus.  Later, when Lazarus dies, the bible simply says "Jesus wept."  Imagine the kind of deep friendship Jesus would have with someone that their death would make him weep.  The One who creates all things is weeping over one friend in the world.  It just amazes me.

I could go on.  I love the stories of David and Jonathan and how their hearts were knit together. Ruth and Naomi, Elisha and Elijah, Moses and Joseph.  

Today I am truly thankful for the gift of friendship.  We were not meant to go through life alone or isolated.  I know there are times and seasons in every person's life where you separate yourself for renewal, but that is not meant to be a way of life.  



I am so thankful for these lovely ladies who helped celebrate my 40th birthday this weekend. My birthday, of course, was 3 weeks ago.  But, they made a point to make sure I was celebrated sufficiently, and more than sufficiently.  We started the evening out at my dear friend's house and then moved from there to a hibachi/sushi restaurant.  After that, we ended the evening at the skating rink where I busted my bum.  I'm still feeling it, but it was so worth it, and I would do it again one hundred times over if I could.  

This blessing of friendship is how I can see God's great love for me.  He knows my need and desire to be loved, and he fills it through my girlfriends (my husband, too, of course.)  I don't get the opportunity to spend a lot of time with my girls, but when I do, it's fun, life-affirming, and precious to me.  God always reminds me of his greatness, his mercy and his grace through each one of these ladies through our talks, life experiences, and laughter together.  

Father, thank you for blessing my life with each person that I call friend.  The one's in the picture above, and the one's dear to my heart.  I ask that you would bless them and keep them.  Help us all lead each other closer to you through our conversations.  Let our words be life-giving words to help exhort each other to live more fully in you.  I pray that you would meet each need of my dear sisters, whatever it may be, and let them know how loved they are.  I ask you to help me show them your great love for them.  In Jesus name, Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Well put and in complete agreement; friends are precious, whether we see them daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly. I am thankful for YOU, my friend!

    ReplyDelete